Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Apology

DO not be distant with me, do not be
Angry because I drank deep of your wine,
But treat that laughing matter laughingly
Because I am a poet, and incline
By nature and by art and jollity.


Always I love to see, I will aver,
The good red tide lip at the flagon's brim
Sitting half fool and half philosopher,
Chatting with every kind of her and him,
And shrugged at sneer of money-gatherer.


Often enough I trudge by hedge and wall,
Too often there's no money in my purse,
Nor malice in my mind ver at all,
And for my songs no person is the worse
But I who give all of my store to all.


If busybody spoke to you of it,
Say, kindly man, if kindly man do live :
The poet only takes his sup and bit,
And say : It is no great return to give
For his unstinted gift of verse and wit.

No comments:

Post a Comment