Friday, July 24, 2015

Shame

I was ashamed, I dared not lift my eyes,
I could not bear to look upon the skies ;
What I had done ! sure, everybody knew !
From everywhere hands pointed where I stood,
And scornful eyes were piercing through and through
The moody armor of my hardihood.

I heard their voices too, each word an asp
That buzz'd and stung me sudden as a flame:
And all the world was jolting on my name,
And now and then there came a wicked rasp
Of laughter, jarring me to deeper shame.

And then I looked, but there was no one nigh,
No eyes that stabbed like swords or glinted sly,
No laughter creaking on the silent air:
And then I found that I was all alone
Facing my soul, and next I was aware
That this mad mockery was all my own.

The Hill of Vision [1912]

No comments:

Post a Comment