Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Horned Moon

The heavens were silent and bare,
Not a star lit the heights overhead,
There was not a stir in the air,
And the people were all gone to bed.

I was there all alone in the night,
With the moon, and we talked for a while,
And her face was a wonder of light,
And her smile was a beautiful smile.

She leaned down and I nearly went mad
(And she was as frightened as me),
But I got the kiss that she had
Intended to give to the sea.

Then the sea gave a leap of surprise,
And shouted that she was a jade,
So the moon ran away through the skies,
And I hid myself in the glade.

After that we were never alone,
We were watched day and night, and they tied
The unhappy young moon to her throne,
Till I married a different bride.

Songs From The Clay [1915]

No comments:

Post a Comment