Thursday, April 02, 2015

The Tale Of Mad Bridgid

AND then
There rung a bell out of the evening air :
One big star fell
In a long golden flare through a great stillness,
And he was standing there.
There came a chillness creeping through me slow,
Nor could I know that it was truly he
Who stood beside, when, lo,
He smiled, and I was made to know,
Nor hesitate because of his grave kingliness and state,
And steady eyes and brows immaculate.
But then the weight
Of his too sudden glory bowed me down
Slow to the ground.
I feared that he might frown without a sound,
Or speak in fire.
Then he said "sweet," and I was dumb ;
I dared not come because of my desire ;
And he went slow away.
And from the grey, cold evening came the tweet,
Sad to my heart, but infinitely sweet,
Of some late flying wren.

Insurrections [1909]

No comments:

Post a Comment